Monday, June 25, 2012

Winterscape, Melbourne

Rain collapses from the sky.
It is always evening, in the dim light.
Cloaked, hooded, wrapped, shrouded, we navigate a course.
Life withdraws or it soldiers on.
Our bones ache, propped up by the wind. Life flowers unexpectedly;
implanted in the thick of things, new life takes hold...
...amid the austerity.
It will temper our grand illusions, and give them good temper.
It will pour forth at the feet of mountains, making them accessible.
Our solemnity is our winter. However much we wait for life,
and wait for it to happen, back within our chilly cells,
it nudges us with a promise of light.
The trees sleep. The air waves through them as if the world were empty -
but it is not. Life knows how to wait for lift-off.

2 comments:

  1. As I sit here in over 101 fahrenheit temps I am now a bit chilled reading this. Thank you! I am reminded of last winter in Sweden. The sun followed the horizon the full day. Stay warm. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of that sun! I confess, this morning was nice, good to be outdoors. I guess it's only 3 months till spring starts tweaking...

    ReplyDelete