Wednesday, March 26, 2014

and three little kookaburras

At last! The kookaburras have landed!
I was gardening for friends yesterday. It was delightful. Their garden is what I'd call old-fashioned, crafted out of specimens such as a series of roses in whose presence I had to be pretty bloody nimble! It reminded me how gardening is an art that requires nurture, and possibly makes us more understanding, caring people. There is also a continuity or common link among gardeners that goes back centuries, even when their approaches are utterly different.
The one squatting is the young one.
The jacaranda's where I put minced beef most days. It's principally for the magpies I do it, but anything with two wings is welcome - especially anything marvelous! For me, gardening is an interaction with nature that allows me to facilitate improved conditions. Playing restauranteur is part of that.
Uncommon in much of Melbourne's sprawl, the kookaburra's unmistakeable, whooping chuckle seems to come out of ages past...but it's here, now...

here as I write this they're laughing. There were three that came today, and I'm hoping they stick around, now they know where there's some catering. Me? I make a garden so the world has somewhere it can sing with life.  


6 comments:

  1. A true Fransiscus you are Faisal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly, it's entertainment, Hannah. I'd never want to live in a world without generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely Faisal
    they look beautiful and very exotic
    hope they ll stick around your garden for a while :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Demie. It's so nice to hear from you, always.
      Yes, kookaburras are something out of the ordinary, something magnificent and wild. I too hope they stay around.

      Delete
  4. Nice. Our garden doesn't offer laughter. Croaks and songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Diana, from what I can gather, your garden is actually full of laughter - laughter from all the species that otherwise wouldn't have anywhere to live but for the care you put into what you do.

      Delete